- Created by: emilythomas24
- Created on: 09-06-15 11:15
- Stepson of Augustus - adopted alongside Postumus AD4
- Took part in military campaigns, including Illyricum and Pannonia. Saved frontier in Geramny after Varus disaster - triumphed 12AD
- "For want of a better choice" - Suetonius
- "Augustus weighed up his good qualities against the bad, and decided that the good tipped the scale" - Suetonius
- Recieved pro-consular imperium in 13AD
- Twice refused Pater Patriae
- Deification of Augustus after death - strengthens
- At first declined offer of Augustus' powers - took the emperorship with reluctance, retired to Rhodes beforehand
- "Until I grow so old that you might be good enough to grant me respite" - Suetonius
- "kept the Senate guessing" - Suetonius
- The army in Germany refused to acknowledge him - "the army in Germany refused to acknowledge an Emperor whome they had not chosen themselves"
1 of 2
- Praetorian Guard - hiding behind curtains and proclaimed emperor - Suetonius says its an "extraordinary accident"
- "first empror to buy the loyalty of his troops"
- Secures position through Praetorian Guard because the senate had no army to fight agaist them
- Praetorian Guard were at there greatness
- Augustus gave Claudius no powers when he was younger - "renounced all hopes of a political career"
- Mauritania revolts put down by Crassus Frugi - revolts as a result of Caligula's murder of their king
- Had only held one consulship before in AD31 and had been "nearly disposed"
- Busy with role as Censor - annoyed senate as many of them would have wanted the role
2 of 2