1) Whats is the learning theory?
2) What is classical conditioning?
3) What is operant conditioning?
4) What is a strength and a weakness of the learning theory?
5) How valid is the learning theory?
1) Learning theory suggests that behaviour is learned. Behaviour could be learnt through classical or operant conditioning.
2) Classical conditioning involves learning through association. Ivan Pavlov did research in to the salivation reflex in dogs. He noticed they salivated before they were fed. The dogs salivated as soon as the door opened, they had learnt this association.
3) Operant conditioning is where we learn through rewards. If we do something and it results in a good consequence then we will repeat that behaviour. If we do something that has a negative consequence then we will not repeat it.
4) The learning theory provides an adequate explanation of how we form attachments. However, people seem to believe that feeding an infant plays a key role in forming a close relationship-this is a weakness.
5) This theory is based on studies with animals. Humans may be similar in some ways but we are also very different.