What was agreed, when and where?
- 30th march 1865, at Paris
- Russia was to have control over Sebastopol, Balaclava and all areas previously occupied by the allies
- The Black Sea became neutral
- The Danube becaem an international waterway for shipping
- Turkey was guaranteed control over the Danubian principalities by the Great Powers
- The principalities were grouped into a new state called Romania
- The Sultan declared that he was prepared to imrpove conditions of all Christians within the Ottoman Empire
1 of 2
Was everyone happy with the agreement?
- Lord Palmerston, the Prime Minister, had wanted tougher terms
- When he presented the treaty to the cabinet he put a positive spin on it but it was still seen as too lenient in the house of commons
- The British people were very happy that the war was over
- cannons were fired, soldiers returned, music was composed in remembrance and there were parties
2 of 2