Who was the Civil War fought between?
Reds- supporters of Lenin
Whites- wanted the return of the Tsar and to overthrow Lenin
Greens- wanted political and economic power handed to the peasants
1 of 3
Why did the Whites lose?
- Conflicting interests- some wanted the return of the Tsar but others just wanted to overthrow Lenin
- Lack of organisation and commitment
- Lack of popular support- people didn't like the Tsarist system and did not want it reinstated
- Lack of unity- conflict between the generals
2 of 3
Why were the Reds successful?
- More committed
- Better led (rule of Leon Trotsky)
- Brutality of red leaders
- People did not actively oppose them- they were scared to
- Exploited the human and material resources
3 of 3