Who were they?
- Terrorist group formed in 1910
- Led by a Serb colonel called Dragutin Dimitrijevic (codename Apis)
- They organised groups of bandits and assassins
1 of 4
What they wanted to achieve and their assassinatio
- Wanted to unite all Serbs living in Balkans into a single 'Greater Serbia'
- 1911 - they attempted to assassinate the Austrian Emperor Franz Josef
2 of 4
The Death in Sarajevo - why?
- 1914 - Black Hand decide to assassinate Archduke Franz Ferdinand , heir to throne of Austria - Hungary
- Why? Wanted to destabilise the Austro - Hungarian empire
- And wanted to publically oppose Austria - Hungary's annexation of Bosnia
3 of 4
More about Franz Ferdinand
- He was known to favour increased civil rights for Slavs
- Black Hand feared that if Ferdinand succeeded in granting Serbs greater freedom, they would be happy to remain under Austro - Hungarian rule, and support for a Greater Serbia would weaken.
4 of 4