WW1 lasted from 1914-1918. Fighting ended with an armistice on November 11th. The winners were Britain, France and the USA. They imposed peace treaties to the losers...especially Germany.
World War One had caused Devestation
- Millions dead or injured. Countries such as Belgium and France devestated - main powers spent too much money on war.
- Many wanted Germany to take blame, especially Britain and France - germany and allies not allowed to take part in talks.
- Everyone wanted ot make sure there was never a war like it again, but no one knew how or couldn't agree.
The Results of the Versailles Treaty were Servere
Peace settlement between winners and Germany, known as the Treaty of Versailles signed in June 1919. This cost Germany a lot of territory.
- Article 231 states Germany had to take blame - War-Guilt Clause.
- Germany's armed forces reduced to 100,000 men. No armoured vehicles, aircraft or submarines. Only 6 warshhips.
- Germany forced to pay £6600 million in reparations - payments for damaged caused. This was decided in 1921, but changed later otherwise this would of taken till the 1980's to pay off.
- Germany lost its empire - areas that used to belong to Germany were now called mandates. Germany put under control of countries on winning side by League of Nations - aims to settle international disputes peacefully.
- German military banned from Rhineland.
Germany Hated the Treaty of Versailles
The Germans were very bitter towards the Treaty of Versailles because...
- Couldn't afford reparations.
- Lost industrial areas.
- Lost pride without armed forces.
- Didn't accept defeat.
- Often now lived under foreign rule in new countries.
- Lost colonies.
- Suffered an ecenomic crisis.
- Didn't accept guilt for starting war.
Versailles - no treats for the Germans...
Treaty was the key document in Europe for the next twenty years - it had major impacts on world events throughout the 1920's and 1930's.
GERMANS VERY UNHAPPY WITH TREATY AND IT WOULD CAUSE MAJOR PROBLEMS LATER.