- 17th January 1995, 5.46am
- Phillipines Plate (oceanic) shifted beneath the Eurasian Plate (continental) along the Nojima faultline, beneath Kobe
- Destructive Margin
- This collision of Plates led to an earthquake measuring 7.2 on Richter Scale.
- Tremors lasted for 20 seconds
- 6434 dead
- 40,000 seriously injured
- 300,000 homeless - tents in streets, blankets as homes etc.
- 2 million people were without electricity
- Gas mains ruptured - Fires enfulged city - destroyed port etc - no aid access
- Water pipes burst - no water for 10 days
- Elevated roads collapsed - difficult for emergency aid
- Railway lines buckled - little transport between Osaka and Kobe
- Financial impact: damaged = >$220 billion
1 of 1