Definition: An experiment that is carried out in an environment (not nescesserily a lab.) in which all the variables are highly controlled.
- High reliability (they can be repeated).
- High level of control
- Establish cause-effect relationships.
- Produce empirical data (easy to collate)
- You may get demand charctersists.
- Social desirabitity.
- Often a lot of infastructure, time & money involved.
- Low mundane realism & Ecological validity.
- Milgram - Obediance Zimbardo - Stanford Prison Albert Bandura - Bobo Doll
Definition: An experiment conducted in a more natural environment ; the IV is still manipulated.
- The data collected is more likely to represent real life behaviours.
- People often do not know they are being researched; no demand charcteristics and social desirability.
- Less control of extranous variables.
- Greater ethical problems than Lab.