Sancity of Life
Christians believe that all human life is sacred and of equal value. No one is lesser than anyone else no matter what/who.
All human life is sacred
- made in the image of God
- breath of God-only humans recieve
Humans have a soul- a perfect immortal bit of us.
Christians are responsible for life - take care of it and others.
"Body is the temple of the Holy Spirit"
"Do not kill"
O.T. "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you"
"made in the image of God"
Deliberate removal of feotus from womb.
- Roman Catholics believe that abortion is never right.
- Roman Catholics believe that life begins at contraception.
- Roman Catholics believe that life is sacred and that abortion is the same as murder.
- Christians believe that there are times when abortion could be the kindest choice e.g. if the mother's life is in danger or the foetus had serious abnormalities.
Jeramiah "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, I called you by your name"-relationship with God before conception.
C of E- "Love your neighbour" The foetus is not absolutley sacrosanct
- But sometimes its necessary evil- but abortion is not condemmed
Using medical technology to have children.
IVF- in vito fertilization - embroyos grown in test tube
R.C. agaisnt embroyos becasue each one is human- cannot discard them.
AIH- Artificial Insemination by husband- woman has sperm inserted in her womb.
R.C. against masterbation.
AID- artificial insemination by doner- as with AIH by unknown sperm.
R.C. no adultery and masterbation
C of E- Jesus said "Love you neighbour" if you can help a couple, you must.
Bible Passages Hannah could not have children becasue He had closed her womb.
Isamuel- Gods choice who has babies, not a human right.
Creating a genetically identical animal/plant from another.
Natural cloning=Identical twins.
Christians believe that cloning a full human being- unacceptable
Most counties have banned cloning including England.
Single cells are cloned to reprduce other cells and organs.
Christians believe that cloning is playing God- God creates life he must take it away.
R.C. cloning seperates the procreation of children from sexual act.
Vivisection- Animal Testing
Cosmetics= toilet cleaner, make up, shampoo
Medical= drugs- aspirin to chemotherapy (most Christians are for)
Christians have a role of stewardship (Adam)- animals must not be abused but God breathed into animals nostrils, not Adams.
Peters Vision - Peter was on a roof- he had a vision. he saw a sail cloth with lots of animals on it. wild and dmestic ones- a voice said "Get up and eat"- Christians can eat meat.
St Francis of Assissi- Patron saint of animals- protected animals as they should not be harmed.
A gentle and easy death.
- Involuntary Euthanasia=other people decide it is for the best to end life.
- Achive Euthanasia=when action is taken to end life e.g. lethal dose of drugs.
- Passive Euthanasia= decision given to stop treatment
- Voluntary= someone asks to die, but needs help.
R.C is opposed to Euthanasia.
C of E -against- murder- also against law.
Quakers- do most loving thing(allowing someone to die naturally)- Hospice movement- the anglican Church sees hospices as places of compassion and support for the dying.
All churches are against - "Do not kill"
God decides when we die- "there is a time to live and a time to die"
Ending/taking your own life.
In the past suicide= sin= murder(self) "Do not murder"
Believed straight to hell- couldn't be buried in Holy Ground
Christians recognise attempted suicide= cry for help
suicide = mentally unstable
Christians should "Love thy neighbour"- try to help
Samaritans- set up Chad Varah- priest- after 14 year old commited suicide.
Its 24/7- not Christian run
- will not try to preach - all volunteerd