Reagan and the Second Cold War
What was his view of the USSR?
- Fighting communism was the his main policy. He made it clear that he would confront the USSR whenever possible.
- He called the USSR an 'evil empire' in a speech to a religious community.
What were his aims when he came to power?
- Reagan wanted to be tougher to the USSR then Carter was.
- He wanted to eradicate the humiliation of the loss of the Vietnam war.
- He was determined not to be intimidated by the Soviet weaponary.
What was his defense policy?
- 100MX missiles and 100 long range and supersonic bombers
- Construction of a bomber that was invisible to the Soviet radar
- 6 Trident nuclear submarines
- Strengthening of the military communication system
- Neutron bombs
1 of 2
NUTS (Nuclear Utilisation Target Selection):
- This gave the idea that nuclear war targets could be identified and their destruction would be limited. Created the idea that there could be a victor in nuclear war.
- Destroyed the MAD theory that said that if one country fired, the ther would fire back.
- Cancel all deployment of new intermediate missiles in West Europe in return for Soviet dismantling comparable forces.
- Bhreznev refused to agree with this policy.
SDI (Strategic Defense Initiative):
- A high tech weapon.
- Missiles could be destroyed by reflecting a laser from a satellite in space.
- It never actually got built but nevertheless it was a threat to the Soviets.
2 of 2