Self Reports- Strengths and weaknesses of Question
Where participants are asked a set of questions about themselves and to report answers. Using qestionnaires.
Strengths and Weaknesses of questionnaires:
- Quick and easy to complete and produce
- Easy to anayls closed questions
- Open questions can give qualitative data, their opinions
- Designed carefully, with a specific topic in mind
- Can send in the post, targets large amounts of people
- Boring to complete
- Demand characteristics and social desirability
- Needs alot of data to get good results
- Can be too personal
- People may not understand questions
Self Reports- Strengths and weaknesses of Intervie
Where participants are asked a set of questions about themselves and to report answers. Using Interviews.
Strengths and Weaknesses of interviews:
- In depth qualitative data
- More chance of an explanation
- Can follow up on particular questions
- More likely to spot a lier if you are a trained interviewer
- Harder to get participants
- Harder to analys as there is more qualitative data
- Social desirability
- More time consuming
- May need a trained interviewer to get answers from people
Self Reports- Measuring Reliability
Refers to consistantcy of data measure. If consistant and we repeat the study, we should collect similar resiults.
- Test-re test reliability: take the self report on 2 seperate occasions. Then you can pair the scores using a correlation. If it is reliable, you should get similar scores and this should be a positive correlation.
- Split half reliability: compare the scores form the 1st half of the questionnaire to the scores of the 2nd half of the questionnaire. They should be similar if the questionnaire is reliable.