Psychoanalysis as a theraphy
Freud developed psychoanalysis as a theraphy which is used on a variety of pateints. It has also helped to develop other therpies such as CBT.
It helps contribute to society as it helps treat those with mental illness by creating a healthier. This will help contribute to society as it will help create a more economically-productive soceity.
Evaluation of Psychoanalysis as a theraphy
- In depth theraphy as takes time to explore the individual entirely e.g. background, concerns of the patient and taking a holistic view
- Quite successful theraphy as has helped treat numerous people with mental health problems and help clinically sound people function over a period of time.
- Fonagy sugggests that freud approach to understanding the individual is more scientific as looking at a patient with an objective and reductionist approach is not a valid treatment
- concepts such as dream analysis/symbol analysis are extremely subjective.This makes freuds methods unmeasurable, therefore if the same patient vistited two different therapists their conclusions may be different
- Masson suggests that to the e
- xtent to this could be a contribution to society is questionable this is because it could cause a problem due to the power the therapist has. It is expensive and time consuming and may not always be effective.