Barcelona Chair; Mies Van De Rohe 1929
- Dyed black leather - suggests strength, power, importance (Throne/King) as well as connoting comfort and stability
- Chrome plated mild steel cross legs - the shiny silver colour connotes a modern and innovative design as well as increasing the perceived value.
- The crossed legs suggest power, stability, sturdiness and power.
- Angled seat - suggesting comfort, modern/innovative/new design concept
- Curved, crossed legs are inviting and powerful, suggesting omnipotence
- Large seat that could fit more than one person on, again suggesting a large and powerful, throne-like seat.
1 of 4
Bauhaus: Marcel Breuer Wassily Chair 1926
- Black Leather suggests power, comfort and an increased perceived value
- Silver suggests a more expensive product (perceived value) as well as looking modern, futuristic and strong
- Rounded corners - suggests safety and a modern design (soft bends)
- Tilted/angled seat - suggests comfort, posture, something new
- Curvy structure - looks modern and inviting
- Minimalistic, lightweight, easy to move around
- The leather is dyed black
- Can't make sharp corners using chrome plated mild steel tubing
- Function rather than form
2 of 4
Memphis: Ettore Sottass - Carlton Bookcase 1980's
- Variety of colours suggesting a fun, enjoyable and welcoming product
- Pastel colours - soft and warm
- Stone textured veneer on the base of the product to suggest that it is stable and sturdy
- Veneered MDF (melamine) - improves perceived value
- Person on the top - inviting, welcoming, gives human characteristics to the product so the user can bond with it
- Straight lines, no curves - suggests a modern design. The designer has created the design with the materials he has used, which has limited the design because you cannot curve MDF
- Symmetrical - power, stable and balanced
- Focuses on Form rather than Function
3 of 4
Mies Van De Rohe: Villa Savoy
- Main structure is white connoting a fresh new and maybe pure design.
4 of 4