- Created by: self-confessed worrier :/
- Created on: 23-04-11 14:18
Prefixes (at the beginning of a word) pg. 1
1) re- added to a verb gives the idea of 'again':
commencer (to begin) --> recommencer (to begin again)
2) in-/im- added to an adjective gives the idea of 'not' or makes the adjective opposite in meaning:
connu (well known) --> inconnu (unknown)
prévu (planned) --> imprévu (unplanned, unexpected)
3) dé-/dés- is similar to the English prefix 'dis' and has the effect of changing the word into it's opposite.
obéir (to obey) --> désobéir (to disobey)
Prefixes (at the beginning of a word) pg. 2
4) sou- or sous- often means 'under', 'below' or 'less':
une soucoupe (saucer); le sous-titre (sub-title)
5) para-/pare- gives the idea of 'against'
parapluie (umbrella - protection against the wind); pare-choc (car bumper)
6) pré- is sometimes found at the beginning of a word and gives the sense of looking ahead or something that comes before:
les prévisions météorologiques (weather forecast); un prénom (first name)
Suffixes (at the end of a word) pg. 3
1) -aine added to numbers gives the idea of aprroximately or about.
une quizaine (about 15 days, a fortnight)
une douzaine (a dozen); des centaines (hundreds)
2) -eur/-euse added to a verb instead of the final -e or -er gives the idea of a person doing the action.
chanter (to sing) --> un chanteur/une chanteuse (singer)
vendre (to sell) --> un vendeur/une vendeuse (sales person)
3) -té is sometimes added to adjectives to make a noun
beau (fine, beautiful) --> la beauté
Suffixes (at the end of a word) pg. 4
4) -ier/-ière and -er/-ère added to a noun in place of -e or -erie gives the idea of a person doing a particular job.
une ferme (farm) --> un fermier/une fermière (farmer)
une boulangerie (bakery) --> un boulanger/une boulangère (baker)
5) -able is sometimes added to the stem of a verb to give an adjective
laver (to wash) --> lavable (washable)
porter (to carry) --> (un) portable (portable, mobile (phone))
6) -ion;-ation are often added to the stem of a verb to make a noun.
réparer (to repair) --> une réparation (repair)