Speed, velocity and acceleration
Velocity = Displacement / Time
Acceleration = Change in velocity / Time
Equations of motion
- v = u + at
- s = ut + 1/2at2
- v2 = u2 + 2as
- A ball bearing is held by an electromagnet at height, h, above a trapdoor switch.
- When the switch is thrown from A to B, the circuit is broken and the ball begins to fall.
- At that instant the stopclock starts timing.
- When the ball strikes the trapdoor, the lower circuit is broken and the clock is stopped.
- The height is measured using the metre rule.
- The timing is repeated several times, and an average value of t is recorded.
- The experiment is repeated for a number of height and a graph of h against t2 is plotted.
- As h = 1/2g t2, the gradient of the line will be 1/2g.
1 of 1