A Farmer sowed his seed, some seed fell on the path
It was trampled on and eaten by birds
Some seed fell on rocky ground - it died because it had no moisture
Some seed fell amongst thorns - it grew a little but was then choked by the thorns
Some seed fell on good soil- this seed yielded up 100x more seed than was sewn
Jesus explained the Parable
1: the seed is the word of GOD
2: The seed on the path is like people who do not believe because the devil makes them disbelieve
3: The seed on the Rocky Ground is like the people who receive the word with joy but they have no stamina and when life gets difficult and testing they give up.
4: The seed amongst the thorns is like people who after a while find life's cares and desire for money choking their faith
5: The seed in the good soil is like those that have Good and noble hearts. They persevere and flourish
THE SOWER KEY IDEAS
The parable illustrates how different people react to Jesus' teaching about the Kingdom of God
- The Kingdom of God is Gods presence in our life now as well as eternal life in heaven
- The parable teaches that the kingdom requires effort; even though some people want to experience it , the give up because the material life is more attractive or because it requires effort.
- The devil symbolises selfish Hunan desires and reasons.
- Jesus probably told the parable top encourage his disciples when they felt they had failed in their preaching about Gods kingdom
THE LOST SHEEP
Tax collectors and sinners gathered round to hear Jesus . The Pharisees and teachers of the law said " this man welcomes sinners and eats with them"
- Suppose you have 100 sheep and you lose one
- Don't you leave the 99 in the open field and go find the missing one
- Don't you raise it on your shoulders joyfully when you find it .
- Then call friends and neighbours and say rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep
- Jesus said, I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over 1 sinner who repents than over 99 righteous persons who do not need to repent.
Key idea that God welcomes sinners and rejoices when they repent. Shows Gods forgiveness and Love
3 REASONS WHY JESUS TAUGHT IN PARABLES
1: Most people were uneducated people and telling them stories was the best way to get his message across
2: He taught in parables so that the message or meaning had to be considered to find the truth