- Mix of rhyming cuplets and cross ryhme
- fails our expectations - not set rythmn - uncanny
- Something was there and now has been lost
'Tree-leaves labour up and down'
- pathetic fallacy
- falling like ghosts as they blow in wind
'through them the fainting light'
- progress is bringing everything to the end
'crawl of night'
'outside in the road the telegraph wire'
- nobody comes , only sends message
- reminder of loneliness
-echoes people who have used it before
'to the town from the darkening land'
- countryside is isolated
-where people go to die?
'intones to travellers like a spectral lyre'
-contrasts to metaphor of tree
- darkling thrush reference
- bleak and ghostly
'a car comes up with lamps full glare' = technical advancement
-sign of modernity. suggests new world is too much?
'it has nothing to do with me;
- suggests car is an intruder into his world
'whangs along in a world' = onomateopia
'leaving a blacker air' = comparative
-blinded by quick flash of lighting intruding
'mute by the gate' = relates to darkling thrush
- turn of the century - relates to modernity theme
'again alone' - everyone has moved on but him = suggests this has happened before (cyclical)
'nobody pulls up there' = nobody wants him