- Created by: pxlblack
- Created on: 13-06-18 19:30
- Compression is where there is a reduction in the dynamic range to increase the overall gain without exceeding the dynamic limits.
- Created in the 1930s to control the volume in TV/stage productions by the use of a fader to manually control the levels; this is called 'riding the fader'.
1 of 2
Compression in the digital age
Compression nowadays is built into the program, so we can be specific about its controls.
- we can change the automation
- live automatic compression
- doesn't damage equipment
- it can be exploited, and squashed - so we do not have the dynamic peaks
- loses the clarity if compressed too much
- the loudness wars (+dB higher)
2 of 2