- Created by: sarah
- Created on: 30-05-12 20:53
what is mass tourism?
Mass Tourism - Large numbers of tourists coming to one area .
Case study - Negril beach resort in Jamaica. A high amount of tourists go scuba diving in the seas this is killing coral by touching and accidental pollution and people taking coral as souvenirs.
Mass tourism - Advantages
- brings jobs and employment to a range of people
- people gain regular work and a reliable wage
- construction jobs go to local people - buliding new : hotels, roads, infrastructure
- new leisure facilites for tourists and locals
- The multiplier effect will help the economy of the host country
Mass Tourism -Disadvantages
- tourist jobs are often seasonal so the local people are out of work in the off season
- Tourist industry dominated by large companies who employ their own workers not local people
- Most jobs are low pay with unsociable hours and are menial
- Profits made by the travel companys go back to the MEDC at the expense of the host country
- Tourists can be narrow minded and prefer familiar foods so are imported rather than locally provided
- New hotels are built to corporate design and ruin the local enironment or change the characteristics of the destination