Mass tourism is when large numbers of tourists visit the same destination.
Case Study: Jamaica, Negril in the Caribbean is one example of a LEDC resort that receives large numbers of tourists.
1 of 3
Advantages of Mass Tourism
- Tourism brings jobs and employment for a range of people.
- People who previously survived on subsistence agriculture..gain regular work with a more reliable wage.
- Construction jobs; building new hotels ,roads and the appropriate infrastructure, often goes to local people.
- New leisure facilities are developed that can be used by the locals as well as the tourists.
- The multiplier effect will help to expand and develop the economy of the host country.
2 of 3
Disadvantages of Mass Tourism
- Jobs are often only seasonal especially in winter sport areas.
- Local people may find themselves out of work in the off-season periods.
- The tourist industry is dominated by large companies who sell package holidays. Local people benefit less because the companies employ their own workers.
- Most of the the jobs in the tourst industry are low-paid, with unsociable hours and are often menial.
- Profits made by the travel companies more often go back to the MEDC at the expense of the host country.
- Tourists can be narrow-minded and often prefer familar food, so much food is imported rather than being locally produced.
3 of 3