Process of Mass Spectrometer
- Vaparation - the smaple must be a gaseous.
- Ionisation - high energy electrons bombared the gaseous sample to form positive ions.
- Acceleration -elecric field accelerates the postive ions to high speed.
- Defelction- magnetic field deflects the ions according to mass/charge ratio.
- Detection - ions with correct mass/charge ratio pass through a slit - detected by instrument (like ekectrometer). The signal amplified and recored.
Process - under high vacuum - prevent collision with air molecules.
1 of 3
Structure of a Mass Spectrometer
2 of 3
Uses of a Mass Spectrometer
- to find the average mass of an atom of an element.
- identify unknown compounds.
- identify trace compands in forensic science.
- analysing molecules in space.
3 of 3