- Created by: Charlotte Emily Turner
- Created on: 22-01-18 08:37
- Religion: Took Mass in Durham - ALL counter-reformation - Elton: "Religion played a little part...though it was a useful cloak"
- Faction: De Spes (Spanish Ambassador) - Elizabeth had rejected Norfolk's proposal to Mary - Northumberland's title ('Lieutenant of the North') had been removed, by Elizabeth
- Took Durham
- Involved the nobility
- The gentry did not stop them! (becoming a "country house religion")
- Fled, as soon as they encountered Sussex's force(s)
- "Almost bloodless"
1 of 4
- Involved: Mary, Fellipe II, Norfolk
- Wanted to usurp Elizabeth & marry Mary to Norfolk
- Uncovered when Baillie was captured and tortured by Burghley
- Mary & Norfolk were blamed
- Norfolk was executed
- Treason Act (mostly a response to the Papal Bull)
2 of 4
Throckmorton Plot (1583)
- Throckmorton had mingled with Seminary Priests
- He planned to kill Elizabeth & place Mary (QoS) on the throne
- Throckmorton was executed
- Bond of Association (1584) (anyone who was plotting against the queen was to be executed)
3 of 4
Babington Plot (1586)
- Walsingham set a trap for Mary
- Babington was hired, by Ballard, to kill Elizabeth!
- Walsingham sent forged letters to Babington, asking for names (he complied)
- Parliament & the Privy Council called for Mary's execution!
- Initially, Elizabeth was reluctant (got Hatton to ask Parliament if there was another way)
- Eventually, Elizabeth signed the death warrant
4 of 4