Limestone and Thermal Decomposition
Thermal decomposition of Limestone
- CaCO3 - CaO + CO2
- Calcium Carbonate - Calcium Oxide + Carbon Dioxide
- Heat the carbonate in a boiling tube, then pipe off the gas into a test tube filled with limewater, Ca(OH)2. The CO2 will turn it milky.
- Some carbonates undergo decompostion more easily and faster than others, depending on the stability
- Calcium Oxide + Water - Calcium Hydroxide
- CaO + H2O - Ca(OH)2
- Its an alkali which can neutralise acidic soil, works quickly
- Calcium hydroxide dissolves in water to produce limewater.
1 of 1