Seebohm Rontree discovered in 1901 28% of the nation being in poverty at somepoint in there lives. They were most vunerable to this when;
- Young child
- Old age
The labour goverment set up with David Lloyd George chancellor of the echequer and introduced 3 reforms these were;
- Old age
1906- Free school meals!
1908-children and young persons act this was for
- Sever punishments for neglecting or treating your child badly!
- Made illegal to see Children Cigarettes and sent out begging.
1908-Pensions were introduced for OVER 70'S
- 5 Shillings a week
- 7 Shillings a week if married!
1909- Labour exchanged were set up to help the unemployed find jobs!
1911-National insurance act was passed!
- Gave people free medical treatment
1911- workers got sick pay
- 10 shillings a week for 26 weeks! (In return of 4d a week)
- Gave people the right for unemployment pay.
David Lloyd George's budget
David Lloyd George decided to hit the Wealthy people with a "Budget" he decided to put taxes on things.
David Lloyd George though the rich had a duty to help the poor.
Liberals abandoning laissez faire
To win votes and stay in power
- help the poor
- Political survival
- Worried about the labour party taking over
The armed forces
- Soldiers got turned down because they were to unwell
- For the Boer war in Manchester 1:3 soldiers got turned down.
Idealists withthin the labour party
- Winston Churchill wanted fame.
- Lloyd George thought the rich had a duty to help the poor.