- Created by: lydia_doolan
- Created on: 05-05-15 12:41
what did the Liberal reforms actually do?
reforms for children. school meals act pof 1906 - children got a free meal for the poor.
free medical checks in 1907- in 1912 necessary treatment made free.
old age pensions.
- old age pensions act 1908
- gave 5s a week to poor old people.
- it was known as a present
- labour exchange(job centres) act of 1909
- first ones set up in 1910 and 400 of them in 1914
- 1909 trade board act tried to tackle low wages - minimum rates of pay introduced
national insurance (helping unemployed)
- health insurance. emplee, employer and govt contributed, paid 10s for 16 weeks.
- unemployment insurance DID NOT help all workers just seasonal unemployed,claim 7s for 15 weeks. paid out at labour exchange.
- sutudies in London
- 30% of population below poverty line.
- a family of 5 earnt around less than £1 a week.
- main causes: sickness, old age, unemployment,large families, low wages.
- most poor people weren't responsable for their poverty.
- studies in York.
- 30%of population below poverty line
- living with less than £1 a week.
- poor law at the time no good for dealing with the causes
- recruits for the boer war in 1899_ 40% un able to fight they were undernurised
1906= liberal refoms.
Welfare state- system of helping people.
successful/ limited in success in tackling poverty
- revolutionary idea.
- protecting and treating children differetnly. became more important.
- free school meals and free medical health checks (free treatment from 1912)
- OAPs given genuine financial support
- labour exchanges help finding work
- health + unemployment insurance helped in times of need. employer, employee + govt had to contribute.
limited in success
- poverty still existed on a huge scale
- family incomes relied heavily upon child labour
- not always popular- tax payer had to pay for them+ people would discourage from saving their pension.
- financial cost was huge.
- health insurance compulsary. people on low pay struggled to pay for something they may never use. didint cover everything- you paid for medicines.
- unemployment insurance didnt cover most workers. only lasted for 15 weeks.