- Created by: Joshua Steer
- Created on: 13-01-10 15:44
Typhoon Ketsana, 2009
- Formed on the 26th September 2009 in the Pacific Ocean east of the Philippines
- Dropped 455mm of rain in Manila within 24 hours-record amount of rainfall
- Category 2 typhoon at landfall, with sustained winds of 90mph
- It brought catastrophic flooding to Manila which killed 246 people
- Flooding also affected more than 2 million homes
- In Vietnam, Ketsana destroyed 170,000 homes and the evacuation of 350,000 people followed.
- 464 people died as a result of the typhoon.
Hurricane Katrina, 2005
- Formed on August 25th in the Atlantic Ocean just off the Bahamas
- Category 1 hurricane at Florida, still killed 9 people and damage of $600 million
- Gathered up strength over Gulf of Mexico and became Category 5 (the worst)
- State of Louisiana worst affected with deaths of 1577 people, caused huge flooding in New Orleans.
- Cost the USA $89.6 billion, worst in US history.
1 of 2
Leyte Landslide, 2006
- Occured on Febuary 17th due to a minor earthquake which was of a 2.6 magnitude
- Official death toll stands at 1,126
- It was able to bury an entire village including a school
- Also occured because of weeks of heavy rain
- Heavy rain was also due because of the natural phenomenon, La Nina.
Ferguson Landslide, 2006
- Occured in Spring 2006 near the Yosemite National Park, California
- A slide of 800 metres cubed buried part of State Highway 140
- Closed highway for 92 days and affected businesses in Yosemite greatly
- Businesses recorded losses of $4.8 million
- This was largely caused by an exceptionally wet spring in 2005 and also in 2006
- The landslide was specifically located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains which endure numerous landslides each year.
2 of 2