- Created by: Joshua Steer
- Created on: 13-01-10 16:24
Africa and Climate Change
- In Morocco, the fishing industries have been negatively effected because of the North Atlantic Oscillation
- Reduced growing period in the Sahel region e.g.Burkina Faso. 70% of employment in Sahel region through agriculture
- High proportion of population concentrated in coastal areas e.g. Nigeria. Makes them vulnerable to sea level rises
- Deforestation in the Republic of Congo for an example is affecting the climate in the south.
- Marine fishery in Namibia negatively affected by changes in ocean currents
- Drought in Zimbabwe has long lasting effects on economy. Drought increases through desertification.
- Intensity of extreme weather increases in South Africa e.g flooding
- Improved conditions for mosquitos means an increase in malaria in South Africa
- East African Great Lakes respond to climate change through storage e.g.Tanzania
- Nile Delta threatened by sea level rise hacing major regional implications
- Economic impacts may mean political turmoil and less money to prepare.
1 of 2
The Artic and Climate Change
- Artic is warming by 7-7.5 degrees centigrade
- Artic surfaces especially snow reflect Sun's heat back keeping the earth cool
- Artic soilds accumulate 11% of the worls carbon, therefore thawing of permafrost will release CO2
- Melting of Greenland Ice Sheets mean an injection of fresh water changing ocean currents e.g.North Atlantic Current
- Alaska is greatly affected as the melting permafrost has meant the sinking of places like Fairbanks.
- Salmon fishing is a major industry and increase in temperature means increase in parasites and a decline in salmon
- Rising sea levels and more storms increase coastal erosion
- Socio-economic impacts include opening up of the Northwest shipping pasage
- New oil and gas fields therefore more accessible.
- World impacts include changing weather patterns and flooding of many big cities like London due to melting of ice sheets and rising sea levels.
- Habitats are effected and polar bears have to feed in local towns
2 of 2