- Created by: Reece Pollard
- Created on: 16-05-12 17:28
GCSE OCR Gateway Fitness and Blood pressure
Fitness and Health
- Being fit is not the same as being healthy. Healthy means being free from infections and disease. Fit is a measure of how well you can perform physical tasks.
- Blood is pumped around the body under pressure. Contractions of the heart pump blood around your body this increases the pressure. The blood pressure is at it's highest when the heart contracts.
- Blood is measure in MM of mercury (mmHg)
- Blood pressure is measured in two numbers. The higher number (The systolic pressure) and a lower number (The diastolic pressure) In a healthy person blood pressure should not be over 135 (Systolic) over 85 (diastolic) Smoking, drinking alcohol and being overweight can also increase blood pressure.