Atonement= becoming at one with God again.
Discrimination= unfair treatment of a person or group.
Ecumenism= breaking down and uniting different denominations of Christianity.
Equality= fair treatment.
Evangelism= encouraging others to put faith in JC and God.
Forgiveness= pardoning an offense/sin/mistake.
Missionary= someone who goes to different country to spread word of Christianity.
prejudice= prejudging someone before you know them.
Racism= belief that a particular race is superior to others.
Christian teachings on equality and racism
- every1 equal= 'god created man in his own image;male and female'.
- love thy neighbour.
- golden rule 'do to others as you would have them do to you'
- sanctity of life
- parable of good samaritan
- 'God has no favourites'
RACISM= why?- upbringing, media influenced, jealousy.
- follow MLK- he did non-violent protests. e.g. bus boycott, 'turn the other cheek' 'love your enemies' 'blessed are the peace makers'
- exclusivism= christianity= right. other religions=wrong. 'I am the way, the truth and the life'.
- pray for world peace, set an example, protest peacefully.
- evangelism- missionary converting ppl into christians urging them to put faith in JC.
Sexism/gender inequality, ordination of women.
- every1 equal in God's eyes, Bible written in male dominated society, jesus spoke to women 1st when resurrected
- OR men are stronger/superior. God created Adam 1st eve= companion, inferior let sin into world. 'wives submit to husbands', all disciples were men.
- Women should be housewife, look after children. Men work and provide.
- now men and women an both work and can look after children.
Sex discrimination= unfair treatment because of gender.
ORDINATION OF WOMEN;
Catholics= NONO= priest represents JC= not a girl. Apostles were boys too.
COE= 'no difference between men and women' 'all one in union with CJ', mary was important too.
Pluralism= all religions are equally valid= 'my fathers house has many rooms'.
inclusivism= Anyone can get into Gods kingdom if good person.
Exclusivism= just christianity right. 'I am the way, the truth and the life'.
evangelism= encouraging others to put faith in JC.
reconciliation= bringing two opposing ppl or groups together.
repentance= saying sorry or being regretful for a sin.
sexism= belief that a particular gender is superior.