The role and purpose of education
- Functionalist and New Right views of the role and purpose of education: transmission of values, training workforce
- Marxist and other conflict views of the role and purpose of education: social control, ideology
- Vocational education and training: the relationship between school and work:human capital, training schemes, correspondence theory.
1 of 4
Differential educational achievement
- Statistics on educational achievement by class, gender and ethnicity; trends over time
- Social class and educational achievement: home environment; cultural capital, material deprivation; language (Bernstein); school factors, relationship between achievement by class in education and social mobility
- Gender and educational achievement: feminist accounts of gender-biased schooling; the concern over boys’ ‘underachievement’ and suggested reasons; subject choice; gender identities and schooling
- Ethnicity and educational achievement: patterns; reasons for variations; multicultural and anti-racist education; experience of minorities in different types of schools
- The relationship between class, gender and ethnicity
- The effects of changes on differential achievement by social class, gender and ethnicity.
2 of 4
Relationships and processes within schools
- School processes and the organisation of teaching and learning: school ethos; streaming and setting; mixed ability teaching; the curriculum; overt and hidden
- the ‘ideal pupil’; labelling; self-fulfilling prophecy
- School subcultures (eg as described by Willis, Mac an Ghaill) related to class, gender and ethnicity
- Teachers and the teaching hierarchy; teaching styles
- The curriculum, including student choice.
3 of 4
The significance of educational policies
- Independent schools
- Selection; the tripartite system: reasons for its introduction, forms of selection, entrance exams
- Comprehensivisation: reasons for its introduction, debates as to its success
- Marketisation: the 1988 reforms – competition and choice; new types of schools (CTCs, academies, specialist schools, growth of faith schools)
- Recent policies in relation to the curriculum, testing and exam reforms, league tables, selection, Special Educational Needs (SEN), etc
- Recent policies and trends in pre-school education and higher education.
4 of 4