Deprivation of Attachment
Deprivation= The disruption of attachment
- Robertson et al studied 'John' -residential care
- Over the course of 9 days; pleasant to distressed/anxious
- Clung to teddy bear
- Rejected mother on reunion.
- This lead to changes in hospital admission systems- parents can stay over-night with their children to maintain the attachment.
- deprivation leads to negative short term effects.
- Bowlby studied 44 thieves, of which 16 were affectionless psychopaths.
- This was to test his MATERNAL DEPRIVATION HYPOTHESIS
- more than half of the juvenile thieves had been separated from their mothers for longer than six months during their first five years.
- Therefore deprivation leads to longer negative affects also.
1 of 1