- Created by: nina Ilhan
- Created on: 09-12-18 13:41
- 27th Febuary 2010, 8.8 on Richter scale.
- Destructive Subduction plate margin - Nazca collided and subducted beneath South American plate.
- 3 minutes of ground shaking followed by smaller aftershocks.
- Tsunami waves at 800km in the Pacific Ocean.
1 of 5
- 500 dead, 12000 injured and 800000 affected.
- 220000 homes, 4500 schools, 53 ports and 56 hospitals destroyed.
- Talcahunanao port and Santiago airport damaged.
- Loss of power, water and communication.
- Estimated cost US$30billion.
2 of 5
- 1500km roads damaged by landslides, cutting communication.
- Tsunami waves damaged costal towns - warnings prevented any death.
- Chemical plant fire and evacuation.
3 of 5
- Emergancy sevices acted swiftly, International help was needed to supply field hospitals, satillite phones and floating bridges.
- Power and water restored to 10% of homes within 10 days.
- A national appeal raised US$10million - enough to build 30000 small emergency shelters.
4 of 5
Long term responses
- A month after goverment launched a housing reconsturction plan.
- Strong economy could be rebuilt without the need for much foreign aid.
- It could take up to four years to recover fully from the damage.
5 of 5
Similar Geography resources: