- Juliet's Cousin
- Fast and quick witted
- consumed by hate
- "The fiery Tybalt" 100,1,1
- "What, drown and talk of peace? I hate the word/As I hate hell, all montague and thee"
- Strong words as they would have believed in religion that hell and the devil were real
- Key events:
- Act1 SCene2 - wants to fights Romeo at the feast but Capulet tells him not to - Tybalt feels angry and embarrased - he wants revenge: "Patience perforce with wilful cholel meeting/...this intrusion shall/now seemingly sweet convert to bittrest gall
- Act3 Scene1 - Tybalt wants to kill Romeo "thou art a villain" - Instead he kill Mercutio -In return Romeo kills Tybalt on a spur of the moment "either thou or I...must go" -This sparks Romeo's banishment
1 of 7
- Romeo's cousin
- Not aggresive
- Tries to stop the fight between Tybalt, Romeo and Mercutio "I pray thee, good Mercutio, lets retire" "If we meet we shall not scape a brawl"
- He doesn't try to start fights "I do but keep the peace. Put up thy sword/Or manage it to part these men with me"
- He tells the story of the fight truthfully when asked to bear witness "Tybalt, here slain,who Romeo's hand did slay"
- Benvolio tries to cure Romeo of his obsession with Rosaline by telling him to look at other girls "forget to think of her" "examine other beauties"
2 of 7
- Lacking Maternal love
- Criticises her husbands age "a crutch, a crutch, why call you for a sword" (1,1)
- Tries to pressure Juliet into marrying Paris "younger than you...ladies of esteem/are already made mothers" (1,3)
- She wishes death upon her own daughter for disobedience "I would the fool were married to her grave" (3,5)
- "I have done with thee" (3,5) she disowns Juliet for disobeying her Father.
3 of 7
- ROmeo's mother
- "Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe"(1,1) She doesn't want her husband to fight
- She cares deeply about Romeo (In contrast to how Lady C. sees Juliet)
- She dies shortly after Romeo does (possibly from grief?)
- She is glad Romeo wasn't at a scrap between Capulet and Montague "Right glad I am he(romeo) was not at this fray" (1,1)
- She is worried about Romeo when he is depressed "O where is Romeo?"
4 of 7
- Refuses Paris' offer of marriage
- He says she is too young "too soon marred are those so early made"
- Forward thinking - unusual to give Juliet the choice of marriage "my will to her consent"
- "Earth hath swallowed all my hopes but she" - all of his other children have died
- HOWEVER in Act 3 Scene 5 he verbally abuses Juliet for not wanting to marry Paris after he has arranged it in Act 3 Scene 4 -"Whining Marmet "Green Sickness Carrion" "Tallow face"
- He threatens to throw her out "I'll sell you to my friend"
- He says Juliet will be "ruled by me"
- He is heartbroken when she dies "Alack my child is dead/And with my child my joys are buried"
- He still wants to fight Montague at beginning of the play "Give me my long sword ho!" (1,1)
- After the deaths, he ends the feud "O brother Montague, give me thy hand"
5 of 7
- Friend of Romeo
- Thinks marriage will end the feud "For this alliance mat so happy prove/to turn your households rancour to pure love" (2,3)
- "Wisely and slow they stumble that run fast" (2,3) This is ironic because he is rushing into marrying Romeo and Juliet
- Tells Romeo how lucky he is - tries to snap him out of depression
- Provides him with sound advice after he kills Tybalt - both R and J are alive AND he can go to Mantua and return later to tell everyone about the marriage
- Sexist? "Women may fall when there's no strength in men"
- "grace and rude will" - two sides to a man's character
- He should know better than to marry R & J - he is a priest!
- He gives Juliet the liquor to send her to sleep and arranges the plan to return ROmeo to Verona.
- He says it is his fault that they dies - yet doesn't want to take the blame "I stand both to impeach and purge myself condemned and myself excused"
6 of 7
- Intensely changeable
- Not very thoughtful
- Queen Mab speech
- Offends the Nurse - Ugly, Fat, Brothel keeper, old meat
- Attitudes towards women - he is higher status and male!
- "Vile submission" men should FIGHT
- Tries to wind Romeo up about Rosaline "quivering thigh"
7 of 7