1348 Bubonic plague first strike
sufferer - exhaustion- headaches+ high temperature
- big swellings in groin armpits or neck called buboes - gave disease name
deaths a week after infected.
- Plague turned into pneumonic plague -is far more deadly - this attacks lungs making it difficult & painful t breathe.coughing up blood .
- pneumonic plague kill victims within 2 days
IN london emergency measures introduced- a law to clean the streets.
but most poeple thought BD was caused by god , planets , or bad air.-so they tried everything they could t cure it .
thought plague was a punishment
A judgement fron GOD
CAUSED BY THE PLANETS
Caused by foul air
people to blame such as jews or nobility
end of world was near signs of Armageddon
some tried to appease the Wrath of god by becoming FLAGGELLANTS WHIPPING THEMSELVES & PRAYING
DANGERIOUS TIME TO BE A DOCTOR
Very brave person to help someone with the disease
doctors / clergymen tried to help - took precautions
1 srong smelling herbs- counter act foul air
2 all-over suits worn filter out germs airbourne - barrrier against flies
Actions to cure - herbal mixtures-whipping themselves-avoiding strangers -cleaning streets
made to wait 40 days before landing - quarantine comes from quaranta ( italian word )
medieval europe didnt understand
medievel europe was faced with something it didnt understand & helpless to prevent
they didnt have the understanding of the cause - not many lessons learnt & plague returned later
After collapse of roman empire much western Europe no longer had strong government .
CATHOLIC CHURCH WAS POWERFUL - people thought god caused disesace GALENS - ideas was accepted as his ideas did not rule out god -noone cud critise him & few studied him .in detail.
monarchs were beleived to be sent by god therefore had pow-er from him who cud cure them scrofula or the kings evil .
Dissection not accepted- as wud prevent a person going to heaven - progression in anatomy physiololgy & surgury limited
blood letting , testing urine samples-use herbs popular
DISEASE WAS SUPERNATURAL - if god caused it then nothing practical cud be done about it
GREAT PLAGUE OF LONDON 1665
- -Worst of reappearances of black death
- Death Toll in London 100,000
- many fled from city
- efforts were made to control the spread
- householders of BD were locked in & red crossess were painted on their doors "LORD HAVE MERCY UPON US "
- CARTS organised by authorities roamed the city infamouse crys "bring out your dead "collecting corpses for mas buriel in plague pits .such measures showed people realised that the disesace was contagious - but still didnt understand the GERMS
- Doctors clergymen chemists & priests were worst affected than average as they went to help the sick .
- GREAT FIRE OF LONDON 1666 EFFECTIVELY STERILISED LARGE PARTS OF LIONDON KILLING PLAGUE BACTERIA