- Diffusion and osmosis(semi-permeable membrane)
- HOWEVER, the body needs substances that have to be moved against a concentration gradient (from low to high)
- This allows cells to absorb ions from very dilute solutions.
- Also allows them to move substances like sugars and ions from one place to another through the cell membranes.
THIS ALL REQUIRES ENERGY FROM RESPIRATION
Root hair cells and the gut lining of your cells have lots of mitochondria to provide the energy they need to carry out lots of active transport.
THE IMPORTANCE OF ACTIVE TRANSPORT
- Glucose can be moved out of the gut and kidney into the blood even though its from a high to low concentration gradient.
-Mineral ions in the soil are usually found in very dilute solutions, more dilute than inside the cell of the plant, by active transport the cell can absorb the ions from the soil through active transport. (against the concentration gradient)