What is stress?
- Selye looked at the body's response to stressful stimuli/stressors.
- he found that different stressors all produced the same pattern of physiological responses... this is called the stress response.
- any stimulus that produced this response was a stressor...this is a response based-definition of stress.
- when certian events or stimuli are definied as a stressor by their nature they are called stimulus-based stress eg. death of someone close to you.
- these ignore individual differences, people will react differently to 'stressors'.
- cox and mackey came up with the transactional model of stress which takes into account individual differences.
- it looks at the person's perception of them in the world around them
- the process is appraisal, primary and secondary appraisal
- when the persons perception of their ability to cope is lower than the perceived demands they get stressed.
1 of 1