- Created by: Rosie
- Created on: 23-05-11 20:27
Gas Exchange in Insects
What creates these features of the gas exchange surface in insects?
1. Large SA:V ratio
2. Thin membrane surface
3. Movement of environmental medium
4. Movement of internal medium
Why do insects need an exchange surface?
Gas exchange in Insects
1. Small, thin, highly branched tracheoles
2. Tracheole walls thin and in direct contact with muscles
3. Air moves down a concentration gradient + ventilation
4. NO internal medium for gas exchange
Insects require gas exchange surface because:
they have waterproof covering and small SA:V ratio