- In the middle of the atom
- contains protons and neutrons.
- Protons are positively charged
- Neutrons dont have charge.
- So overall teh charge of the nucleus is positive becuase of the protons.
- The nucleus is tiny compared to the size of the whole atom.
1 of 3
- Move around the nucleus
- They are negatively charged
- They're tiny but cover a lot of space
- they occupy shells around the nucleus
- Its these shells that explain teh whole of chemistry.
2 of 3
Number of protons = Number of Electrons
- Atoms have no overall charge becuase the nucleus is positively charged and the electrons are negatively charged
- The charge on both the protons and lectrons are the same size but oppositely charged.
- This means that the number of protons is the same as the number of electrons
- If electrons are added or removed then the atom becomes charged and is then an ion
3 of 3