- Created by: Hannah Davies
- Created on: 05-04-11 19:23
- Aristotle was a pupil of Plato!
- He was a greek philosopher
- He wrote a book called the 'Metaphysics'.
- He was a Dualist meaning... the body and soul live WITHOUT each other.
- Aristotle didnt agree with Plato that there was another world more real than this one (earth)
Aristotles 4 causes!
- Aristotle tried to show that we needed to look at why things exist!
- He started looking at the structure of how things are created
- He didnt say nature was designed, but he said that there must be a reason for why i is the way it is!
- He believed there were 4 CAUSES for why a object exists they are.........
- MATERIAL CAUSE! - Material used to make the object
- EFFICENT CAUSE! - Who or what made it
- FORMAL CAUSE! - The form and structure of it!
-FINAL CAUSE! - Its purpose
Example - a statue! - Material cause - Made of marble
- Efficient cause - Made by a sculpture
- Formal cause - Its a statue
- Final cause - to be beautiful
Aristotles Prime mover
- Aristotle said that everything that exists is in motion.
- The physical world is always changing and change and motion is always caused by something! He also said that the world is in a state of potenitiality and actuality!
Aristotle that something causes this change in the world and he called it th PRIME MOVER!!!!
The Prime mover ...
- Causes change!
- exists by necessity
- Is the final cause!
- is linked with God!
- It doesnt change itself
IS IT GOD?