- Made up of only carbon and hydrogen atoms.
No. of carbons
1=methane =CH4(say meeth not crystal meth lol)
try and draw them out :)
- Still only contain hydrogen and carbon atoms
- Contain one carbon=carbon double bond.
But 2 ene (you'll get it when its drawn out) = C4H8
- From the hydroxyl group
- Functional group= -OH (not minus OH)
- Named by adding "ol" on the end
- Uses= drinks obviously, removes marker pens, fuel, solvent.
- The alcohol in drinks is ethanol.
- Functional group= -COOH
- pH below 4 (notice they're called acids)
- Smells sour
- Named by adding "oic acid" to the end
Methanoic acid= HCOOH
Ethanoic acid= CH3COOH
Sorry this is hard :( DO NOT READ UNTIL LAST or it will confuse you and put you off
- Made by combining an alcohol with a carboxylic acid.
- Has a C=O double bond
- Named by adding "yl" for the first part and "oate" for the second part e.g. methyl methanoate or ethyl ethanoate
- You can also get something like methyl ethanoate or propyl methanoate.
- It might be tricky as hell but hey, at least it smells sweet or like flowers :)
- Used in perfumes, shampoos and deodorants that kind of thing. Also can be used in sweets.
Heres a couple:
Ethyl ethanoate= CH3COOCH2CH3
Look up the displayed formula before attempting to draw them