- Homologous series with the Functional group -OH
- General Formula: C(n)H(2n+1)OH
- Methanol, Ethanol, Propanol, Butanol (Monkeys, Eat, Penut, Butter) - then shapes e.g Pentagon (5 sides) - Pentanol- 5 C atoms.
- First 3 alcohols have similar properties: They are flammalbe- burn in air to produce carbon dioxide and water. Dissolve in water- to form neutral solutions. React with sodium to produce hydrogen and alkoxides.
- Alcohols can dissolve most compounds that water can. They can also dissolve other substances which water can't dissolve.
- Methylated Spirit, is ethanol with added chemicals- including methanol. It is used as a cleaning solvent and as a fuel, it is often dyed purple.
- They can be used as solvents in industry or as fuels.
- Ethanol is the main alcohol in alcoholic drinks.
- Alcohols can be used in spirit burners and is clean burning, it can also be mixed with fuel for cars leading to less pollution, it is also renewable.
- Alcohols can be oxidised to form Carboxylic acids.
1 of 3
- Functional Group: -COOH
- Start with the same Meth, Eth, Prop with an added -anoic.
- Ethanoic acid is the main acid in vinegar.
- Dissolve in water to produce acidic solutions.
- React with carbonates to produce carbon dioxide.
- React with alcohols in the presence of an acid catalyst to form an Ester.
- Also used to make soaps and detergents due to their long chains.
- Carboxylic acids are weak acids as when they are dissolved in water they don't ionise completely. Therefore their solutions have a higher pH than stronger acids of the same concentration.
2 of 3
- Esters have the functional group -COO(C)
- Their names end in -anoate
- The alcohol they are made from forms the fist part of the name and the acid the second: Ethanol + Ethanoic acid -------> Ethyl Ethanoate + Water.
- They don't mix well with water but do mix with alcohols and other organic solvents.
- Esters have pleasant smells and are volatile so they are used as perfumes.
- Some Esters have distinctive flavourings and aromas- some may smell or taste or certain fruits etc, these are used as flavourings.
- They can also be used as solvents.
- However they are very flammable and can be toxic.
3 of 3