- Created by: megrclarke
- Created on: 09-06-19 21:41
- We pull together information we already know; helps us come to a conclusion
- Garfinkel for example looks at refelectivity eg. the examination of suicide, corroners use infomation they already know about the person to decide if the death was accidental/ suicidal.
Example; Crime and Deviance
- Police stereotype based on a past event such as 9/11 and therefore target groups such as young male muslims.
- Refers to being labelled depending on the situation
- normally minorities are labelled eg. the working class or ethnic minorities
- this leads to a self-fufilling phrophecy
Example; the education system
the working class are labelled by teachers as are ethnic minorities
- Focuses on how the social world is created between through the meanings we give to situations
- Mead; argues that animals act upon instinct however, humans interpret behaviour before they respond to a situation
- in order to interpret meanings mead says we must put ourselves in their shoes
family primary socialisation --> leads to beliefs of future generations --> continues capitalism
- Other sociologists argue that symbolic interactionism is not a theory; more like a collection of concepts
- it ignores wider social structures such as class and gender
- it cannot explain consistant patterns
Goffmans dramaturgical model
- we are actors acting out our 'scripts' with our 'props'
- we can only be our true selves when we are alone
- we portray oursleves differently depending on who we are with
- we use language, tone of voice and facial expressions to convince.
eg . Hybrid identities (beliefs)
young muslims often floot no alcohol rule when with friends but are very intergrated with muslim beliefs when at home