6.7 Making choices about technology
Advantages and disadvantages in the use of cloning and genetic engineering.
- Cloning cattle can produce herds of cattle with useful characteristics
- Adult cell cloning may be used to make copies of the best animals, e.g. race horses
- people who have faulty genes causing a genetic disorder could be cured by transferring the correct gene.
- Several medical drugs have been produced by genetic engineering, such as insulin and antibodies
- GM crops include ones which are resistant to herbicides or to insects
- GM crops have a bigger yield, but farmers have to buy new GM seed every year because the crops are infertile.
- Some people are concerned about accidentally introducing genes into wild flower populations
- Insects which are not pests may be affected by GM crops.
- Many people worry about the effect of eating GM crops on human health. And argue about whether or not cloning and genetic engineering are ethical.
- What will be the long-term effects? , Will we create new organisms that we know nothing about? , Are these processes ethically correct?
1 of 1
Similar Biology resources: