- Created by: zopetre_
- Created on: 18-01-17 11:08
List of common compounds that are necessary to kno
1 of 5
List of common ions that are necessary to learn
2 of 5
What is the definition of oxidation number?
Oxidation number is the number of electrons that need to be added to or taken away from an element to make it neutral.
3 of 5
What are the rules that apply to oxidation numbers
- The oxidation number of an uncombined element is 0.
- The sum of the oxidaton number in a compound is 0.
- The sum of the oxidation number in an ion equals the overall charge.
- In compounds the oxidation numbers of Group 1 metals is +1 and Group 2 metals is +2.
- The oxidation number of oxygen is -2 in compounds (except with fluorine or in peroxides or superoxides)
- The oxidation number of hydrogen is +1 in compounds (except in metal hydrides)
- In chemical species with atoms of more than one element, the most electronegative element is given the negative oxidation number.
4 of 5
What are the steps to balance an equation?
- Write a word equation for the reaction
- Write the symbols/formulae for each reactant and product
- Balance the equation by multiplying the formulae
- Check your answer
- Add state symbols
5 of 5