Slides in this set
· If two molecules with different kinetic energies collide,
conservation of energy applies and the kinetic energy lost by
one is molecule is gained by the other.
· No kinetic energy is transferred if the kinetic energy of the
two molecules is the same.
· Temperature is directly proportional to kinetic energy, so
particles at 0C have the same energy regardless of state.
· SOLIDS: When heated the particles gain kinetic energy, but as
their position is fixed, the kinetic energy results in
· LIQUIDS: When heated some of the kinetic energy is
TRANSLATIONAL (i.e.: causes the particles to move about
without a fixed point) and some is VIBRATIONAL.
· GASES: All the kinetic energy of the molecules is