Slides in this set
THE CUBAN MISSILE
· UNTIL 1959, CUBA WAS RULED BY THE CORRUPT DICTATOR BATISTA, WHO
WAS FRIENDLY WITH THE USA.
· THE USA WAS A MAJOR MARKET FOR CUBAN GOODS.
· IN 1959, BATISTA WAS OVERTHROWN IN A REVOLUTION LEAD BY FIDEL
CASTRO, WHO WANTED TO GET RID OF ALL FOREIGN INFLUENCE IN CUBA.
· HE SEIZED ALL THE LAND OWNED BY AMERICANS.
· HE NATIONALISED BUSINESSES.
· IN RETALIATION, THE USA REFUSED TO BUY THE CUBAN'S MAIN EXPORT,
SUGAR CANE, SO CASTRO ARRANGED TO SELL IT TO THE USSR.
· THE AMERICANS BECAME EXTREMELY CONCERNED ABOUT CUBA.
· CASTRO WAS BELIEVED TO BE COMMUNIST AND THE USA FEARED ANY
EXPANSION OF COMMUNISM.
· MOREOVER, THE USSR NOW HAD AN ALLY CLOSE TO THE USA.…read more
THE BAY OF PIGS.
· Before Kennedy came into power, there was a plan to invade Cuba and link up with the
opponents of Castro on the island, and was supported by the CIA.
· With American support, a force of around 1,400 rebels landed at the Bay of Pigs in Cuba.
· They were trapped on the beach by Castro's forces and unable to link up with the rebels
on the island, therefore they were easily defeated.
· Many in the USA blamed Kennedy because he had refused to give air cover to the
invasion as he did not want to be seen to be openly supporting the rebels.
· The sympathy of the world was with Cuba, not the Americans.
· To make matters worse, the Americans still had a naval base at Guantanamo in Cuba
and Castro feared that they would attack Cuba again, so he turned to the USSR for help.
· He announced that he was Communist and Khrushchev began to provide him with
weapons and SAMS that would be able to shoot down any attacking planes.
· Moreover, Kennedy's action made Khrushchev think Kennedy was weak, so Khrushchev
tried to take advantage of this by supplying Cuba with long-range missiles that could be
fired at the USA.…read more
THE START OF THE CUBAN
· As the USA had not yet developed missiles like Polaris, which could be fired from submarines,
a base in Cuba would enable them to threaten the USA.
· The USA suspected that these missile bases were being set up, but when challenged,
Khrushchev denied it and claimed that they had no intention to do so.
· HOWEVER, on 16th October 1962, an American U2 spy plane took photos of launch pads that
were being built for long-range missiles on Cuba.
· When in place, these missiles would be able to carry hydrogen bombs that could reach and
destroy most cities in the USA within 20 minutes.
· Millions of American lives would be lost in such an attack.
THE DIFFICULTIES FACING
1. If Kennedy ignored the missiles in Cuba and simply made a diplomatic protest, as he had
done over the Berlin Wall, it would appear that he had backed down and was weak.
2. If he launched an attack on Cuba to remove the missile bases it would involve loss of lives.
3. If it was a nuclear attack it could provoke a nuclear war with the USSR resulting in the
destruction of much of the world.
SOVIET SHIPS WITH MISSILES ON BOARD WERE HEADING FOR CUBA.
KENNEDY DECIDED THAT THE BEST
COURSE OF ACTION WAS TO PUT A
NAVAL BLOCKADE AROUND CUBA. ON WITHDRAW
22nd OCTOBER HE ANNOUNCED THAT
THE SEA WITHIN 800KM OF CUBA
WOULD BE PLACED IN QUARANTINE WEAPONS!
(ISOLATION) AND THAT NO SHIPS
CARRYING WEAPONS WOULD BE
ALLOWED THROUGH BY THE US ARMY.
KENNEDY CALLED ON KHRUSHCHEV TO
WITHDRAW THE WEAPONS FROM
Soviet Ships carrying rockets approached Cuba, and the world held its breath.
On 24th October, when in sight of the blockade, the ships turned around. The immediate danger
of a clash between the two superpowers had been prevented, but it was not the end of the
Cuban Missile Crisis. Kennedy demanded that the USSR remove all their missiles/sites from Cuba.
26th OCTOBER 27th OCTOBER 27th OCTOBER
Kennedy, Kennedy, Khrushchev,
Alright then, I Actually I'll only I'll remove the
agree to dismantle my blockade and you
remove your sites.
consider missiles if you If you don't reply
dismantling my remove your within 2 days, shit
sites if you lift ones in Turkey. gon go down.
the blockade. Khrushchev xox Kennedy <3
Khrushchev xox…read more
· One Soviet ship was boarded and a crate containing nuclear bombs opened.
· On 26th October a U2 plane was shot down over Cuba and the pilot was killed.
· Mr. U. Thant, the Secretary General of the UN, urged the two leaders to avoid war.
Fine, I'll dismantle
the missile sites in
Cuba as long as Just remember
you remove the World, I guaranteed
blockade. the safety of Cuba
and worked to
prevent war. HA HA
I AM THE