Slides in this set
Cardiovascular disease- what?
· CVD are diseases of the heart and circulation.
· Main: Coronary heart disease.
· Small organisms ( unicellular): substances moved
around through diffusion.
· Diffusion: random movement of molecules from
high to low concentration
· Larger organisms (multicellular): too large for
rapid substance movement
· Rely on heart- pump: have a circulatory system…read more
Open circulatory system
· Insects and other animals circulate blood into
large open spaces.
· Blood heart cavities around organs
· Substance diffuse between blood and cells
· Heart relaxes, blood draws from cavity back
into heart, through small valves.…read more
How does the circulation work?
· Mass flow blood and all particles contained
transported in one direction
· Blood (plasma) mainly water, dissolved
substances: food, oxygen and carbon dioxide.
· Transportation of substances to cells
· Blood is vital for body temperature regulation
and transferring energy…read more
· Liquid at room temperature, other compounds gas
· Polar molecule: uneven distribution of electrical charge
· Two hydrogens are pushed together due to charge
· H+ O- -ve due to electrons being concentrated
· +vly charged end of water attracted to vly charged
· Hydrogen bonding causes water to be liquid at room temp
· Ionic molecules dissolve more easily in water
· Polar molecules dissolve easily in water
· Polar group such as OH in sugar are hydrophillic
· Non polar- hydrophobic (lipids) do not dissolve in water, in
blood combine with protein to transport- lipoprotien…read more