Slides in this set
Light Dependent Stage
· Made up of cyclic and non-cyclic
· It takes place on the thylakoid membranes of the
· It has two main functions;
1. To produce ATP, which supplies energy for
synthesis of carbohydrates.
2. To split water molecules providing hydrogen
ions to reduce carbon dioxide and produce
acceptor To light
H2O H+ +OH- ADP + Pi reactions
O2 + H 2 O chain
Light Independent Stage
· Also called the Calvin Cycle.
· Takes place in the stroma of the chloroplast.
· Reduction of carbon dioxide from the air to bring
about synthesis of carbohydrates.
· The glucose produces is used as fuels for
respiration in the plant. It goes to:
1. Double sugars such as sucrose for transport.
2. Polysaccharides such as starch for energy.
3. Cellulose for structural support.
4. Amino acids, nucleic acids, lipids.…read more