Slides in this set
The Blood Clotting Cascade!
Prothrombin (A soluble protein)
Thromboplastin (a protein) Fibrogen ( a soluble
is released. protein) is catalysed.
Thrombin is produced (an
Fibrin (insoluble fibres)
are produced.…read more
A step by step guide of the blood
· The protein thromboplastin is released from the
damaged blood vessel.
· Thromboplastin triggers the conversion of the
soluble protein prothrombin into the enzyme
· The thrombin then catalyses the conversion of
soluble protein fibrinogen into the insoluble fibre
· The fibrin fibres then tangle and form a mesh,
which sticky platelets and red blood cells get
trapped, forming a blood clot.…read more
move into the
· This tends
to result in
what such is as
· A positive
started , as
calledthe an 2.
build theup at
arter it is
more in 1.
the y isthat
· This causes
How does atheroma formations link to
the blood clotting cascade?
· Atheromas can burst through the endothelium of
an artery, damaging the artery wall.
· This triggers the release of thromboplastin,
triggering the blood clotting cascade.
· This can lead to the complete blockage of the
artery, or could become dislodged and block a
blood vessel further along.
· The blood flow to tissue is then compromised and
can cause damage.
· It can also cause a heart attack (myocardial
infarction), stroke, and deep vein thrombosis.…read more