Slides in this set
1. Is cruelty created through the role you
have in life?
2.Or is it personality? Is the `pathology of
power' something created by the
3.Zimbardo argues the mere position of a
person in a situation like a prison will change
Zimbardo's Stanford Prison
Background for Haslam and Reicher's study.
· Zimbardo wanted to make the basement of Stanford
University into a prison to see what effect of prison life would
have on a group of volunteers- he argued the individual-
situational issue was important to understanding how
criminals behave- Zimbardo was a believer that the situation
made people worse, not personality.
· He made himself a warden and some very serious ethical
problems arose as the guards were more and more vicious.
Six days in, Zimbardo's girlfriend
and a prisoner's lawyer told him
what he was doing was wrong,
and the experiment was stopped.…read more
The BBC Prison Study, 2001 (10 day
study stopped at 8 days), filmed, with
· For ethical reasons only people who were well-adjusted and
pro-social, scoring at low levels on all social and clinical
measures were used.
· Initial pool of 332 applicants reduced to 15 men (we recruited
only men to avoid ethical issues that would arise from placing
men and women together in cells).…read more
· TO BE FILMED UP TO 10 DAYS.
· Method Experimental Case study (Lab/
Repeated Measures Design /Controlled)
· Observation - time series approach
· Subjects - final sample of 15 (randomly
divided into two groups -5 guards; 10
· Explores tyranny…read more